ETF Covered Calls 10-07-2009

Here’s a special Wednesday edition of the ETF-Cashinator while I continue to try out the Google Docs.

ETF-Cashinator report is here.

ETF Covered Calls website is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Any investment activity is not without risk including loss of principal. Neither this website nor its authors assume any responsibility arising from the use or misuse of any information presented in this blog. You are urged to contact a financial adviser before making any investment decisions. Past performance is no indication of future performance.

© ETFCoveredCalls.com

This entry was posted in ETF Cashinator. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to ETF Covered Calls 10-07-2009

1. davmp says:

Hi Rich, I notice your new Google doc format has different titles in the headers than the ones in your explanation page at “/etf-cashinator%E2%84%A2-report/”. Are the news titles just synonyms or did you actual change what the columns represent or how they’re calculated?

2. davmp says:

I was specifically referring to the ROI columns in the above comment.

Also, I noticed you’ve dropped the colored backgrounds. If that isn’t on purpose, you can do it in a Google Docs spreadsheet by selecting the range of cells you’re interested in applying formatting to then using the Format->Change Colors With Rules… menu item. It’s not quite as customizable as Excel, but it will certainly do the green cell backgrounds.

3. Richslick says:

Well to be honest, I’ve been having some problems with Google Docs doing what I want it to do.

I have been having to jump through hoops because I use a Mac AND windows XP to generate the report. I discovered that I can’t simply copy the file from XP to Mac then upload it to google. Google docs doesn’t like that for some reasons.

I can go straight from XP to Google Docs without any relative damage to the file but then the Mac piece is missing.

If google docs would simply accept a CSV or XLS file from Mac the problem would be solved.

As for the headers, I probably need to fix those as I don’t pay too much attention to them since I know what they are.

What can I say…
    It’s a work in progress.

Ultimately, I need to hire a programmer from India that will work cheap and just automate the whole thing on the web but my six month vacation was a big set back!

4. davmp says:

Just curious, but the first thing I think of when someone describes a file incompatibility problem when moving between Macs, Windows, etc. is the line endings for the files. Since your file is starting on Windows, and you’re moving it to a Mac, I bet the line endings on your CSV aren’t being changed. Of course, that wouldn’t be necessary for an XLS file from MS Office since they’re binary.

5. Rich says:

That’s not it at all, or at least I don’t think so. If I merely copy from XP to Mac and upload the file, google won’t take it. If I take the exact same file and upload it from XP to google it works fine.

On rare occasion, I’ve had to actually open the CSV/XLS file in XP then close it for google to upload it.

I know, it doesn’t make sense but its either a google or XP problem.

6. davmp says:

It was just a shot in the dark. There’s an easy to double-check for the line-ending issue. On your Mac, open a terminal and cat the file in question, if the lines end with (^M) then you have the issue. To “cat” a file, just do “cat /path/to/file”. If you get a lot of random chars, then the file is binary and the line-endings issue can’t apply.

I’ve uploaded a few spreadsheets to Google docs from both Windows and Mac and not had the problem you’re describing. I wonder what’s going on?

7. Rich says:

Perhaps the size and format of the file is causing the problem?